Sam Sam Sam Sam Sam

Friday, September 22, 2006

What's On My Mind: September 22nd

My son, Sam, after he went swimming with his clothes on this past weekend!

Quote of My Day...

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -- Lewis Carroll

What's On My Mind Today...

Yesterday I had a few hours to myself since the sitter came for the afternoon. After I got through the mundane tasks like grocery shopping, post office (sold maternity clothes on ebay!) and other errands, I parked myself on a couch (they moved the furniture around and I don't like where they put my favorite couch) at the local coffee house, The Kind Cafe, and played around with some photos in Photoshop. The photo I posted today is one of them. Anyway, while sitting on the couch with my sacred cup of coffee (real cream in it), I people watched from behind my laptop screen. Here are a few of my observations after an hour of watching college students from our local university:

  • Fashion: What are some of these girls/women thinking? I just don't get the low-rider jeans that fail to do anything but show off a roll of fat around their middle and the thong underwear straps. And then there is the tight shirt that reveals the pierced belly button that is visible because of those fabulous low-rider, way-too-tight jeans. Seeing this display of stomach overhang makes me feel really good about my post-pregnancy stomach. Do these girls know that if I were to put on those jeans I wouldn't have that much flab hanging over my belt? Another thing I noticed that blows my mind: Platform shoes. Again, what are they thinking? These have got to be some of the ugliest styled shoes a woman could wear. But just about every pair of feet that strolled past my couch was engulfed in a pair of these ugly shoes. The worst were the platform maryjanes. Yes, my Dansko clogs (I own several pair and live in them throughout the fall and winter) are slightly elevated but this is has something to do with the way the clogs are meant to be healthy for your feet. The platform shoes I was exposed to were unhealthy in every way and if one of these girls took a fall she'd surely break her leg because of these stupid shoes.
  • Language: The f-bomb was flying--I mean FLYING--around the place. Every conversation within earshot of me was throwing it around. I just don't get it. There needs to be an f-bomb monitor installed in this place to register just how many people have determined this appropriate language for an everyday, casual conversation. I save the f-bomb for when I am thoroughly pissed off. If you use it everyday in every conversation, as I witnessed yesterday, it loses its effect. It no longer becomes "that word" that lets the world know you are the most pissed-off, mother of two kids in diapers in town...
  • Cell Phones: Every single person had one and just about all of them were ringing terrible music. Thankfully not at the same time. Now that cell phones are also MP3 players we all get the opportunity to be exposed to the owner's taste in music whether we want to or not. And of course the music has to be extremely loud with poor sound quality as cell phones are hardly in stereo. And what is with this constant need for people to talk loudly on their cell phones? Do they really think the rest of us in the place want to hear their conversation or learn about what is going on in their sex life? And of course the cell phones just added to the f-bomb situation...

So my observations of yesterday's coffee house experience are what I am thinking about today. I realized that I don't care if my clothes aren't in style--I have the responsibility to keep the public from viewing my post-pregnancy body. I have a responsbility to the world to not show off my butt-crack. And, for those of you who are interested, I don't wear thong underwear--too uncomfortable and the view of my behind in them is just not a good one. I am proud I don't use the f-bomb in every conversation I have, both public and private. I'm a mother. Mom's just shouldn't do that. And I don't care if my cell phone just rings Ring Number 2 from Motorola. I don't even know how to change the ring on my phone, let alone download music to it. And it hardly ever rings because afterall I'm a stay-at-home-mom and the only calls I get are from my husband or my sitter if something is wrong with my kids. So since it doesn't ring I don't even get the chance to talk on it loudly in public so the rest of the coffee shop can find out that I need to stop at the store and pick up coffee creamer on my way home or that my kid has a cold and I need to stop at CVS and buy a new snot catcher (I melted the old one in the microwave when I attempted to sterilize it).

So all of this is what is on my mind today...

What is Making Me Happy Today...

Today I am feeling very fulfilled because Grey's Anatomy started a new season last night and, for the most part, I got to watch it. Between Hank crying and fussing and my husband munching pretzels extremely loud in bed right next to me, I still managed to watch most of the show, at least the important parts like at the end when Dr. McDreamy confesses that he loves Meredith. Now this is where the indecision on my part comes in. I really like the character Christopher O'Donnell plays and kind of want him to win in this fight for Meredith. It should be an interesting season...and it should keep me happy every Friday.

SAHM Product I Love Today

My pick for today is the "Safer Bather." This bath cushion is fantastic. I used it with Sam when he was an infant and now I am enjoying it once again with Hank. It is basically a cushion that the baby lays on while getting a bath. It fits in the kitchen sink perfectly and you just wring it out and hang it to dry when you're finished. It is made of this mold and mildew resistant material but I still wash it once a week in the washer and dry it to make sure I'm not providing a home to any unwanted germs or bacteria.

SAHM Product I Hate Today

Anti-bacterial soap. It makes my hands so dry! With two kids and lots of diapers to change, I wash my hands constantly. I used anti-bacterial soap because the parenting magazines all tell me to. There is no point in using moisterizer after each handwash because it seems within 10 or 15 minutes I am washing my hands again. Today my knuckles are cracked and bleeding. So I'm not liking anti-bacterial soap.

My iTunes Kids Picks of the Day

  • "How Much is that Doggy in the Window" by Patti Page (Sam likes to bark to this song)
  • "LaBamba" by Los Lobos
  • "Let Your Light Shine Out" by Ralph Stanley
  • "Maple Leaf Rag" Scott Joplin
  • "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and the Comets
  • "Song of the South" by Alabama

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Receive e-mail alerts when this blog updates!

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best

Cutting through the Blog Smog
Ask.com