Sam Sam Sam Sam Sam

Friday, October 13, 2006

More Small Town Chuckles

Square Dancing Tractors
-They're at it again!

Quote of My Day

“I hate small towns because once you've seen the cannon in the park there's nothing else to do.” ~Lenny Bruce

Obviously Lenny Bruce has not been to the local towns around here because in addition to lots of cannons, we have dancing tractors and Meat Bingo (I still haven't figured out what that is all about).

On My Mind

Today I am once again reflecting on the joys and chuckles of small town life in America. Yes folks, the "Middlecreek Square Dancing Tractors" are at it again. This time it is at the local Apple Harvest Festival that kicked off last night. Now, if this wasn't a nighttime gig, I would have been there. My son loves tractors. He loves music. He'd love the dancing tractors. I'd love to get a first-hand glimpse of just what square dancing tractors are all about. But 18 month old toddlers and 2 month old babies don't go to Apple Harvest festivals to see dancing tractors on Friday nights. That is something they have to look forward to in their later years...that and perhaps Meat Bingo.

Living in a small town, as I've mentioned on my blog numerous times, has been quite a drastic change for me. Yes, there are things I miss. Like wireless Internet in coffee shops. Yesterday when hanging out at the coffee house in town I stupidly asked the owner how to connect to their wireless Interent. Duh...they don't have wireless in public spaces around here. And in the local newspaper there is an article about a local Post Office holding an open house. Refreshments will be served. A meet and greet with postal workers will be held. When I lived in Pittsburgh the postal workers barely spoke to customers let alone sponsored open houses and served refreshments. And, in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness, bras are being strung across the local Susquehanna River. In Pittsburgh, that just wouldn't happen. Too many rivers. Too many bras. Too many men driving into the rivers because they were gazing at the Victoria Secret art exhibit hanging over the Allegheny River. Last week's county paper headline on the front page was the free fire truck rides being offered by one of the county's fire departments in honor of Fire Prevention Week. In Pittsburgh that wouldn't even make the paper, let alone the front page.

Another small town news item that has me laughing to myself as I drank my morning coffee today is an article about Romeos. Thinking Shakespeare? Thinking Romance? Think again. Romeos are "Retired Old Men Eating Out." The article is about where to find these Romeos. I'm telling you, move to a small town and the local news is comedy central.

So living in a small town once again has me chuckling this morning. The county paper arrives in my mailbox tomorrow and I'm sure I'll have a few more chuckles as I peruse the news that can only be found in small town America. But I did learn something very interesting in the local paper about Friday the 13th, which was yesterday. Did you know that the fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia, a specialized form of triskaidekaphobia, a phobia of the number 13? And, did you know that if you lived in Greece or Spain, Tuesday the 13th is their unlucky day? If I hadn't moved to a small town from a big city I probably would have never learned this very important information. To learn more fascinating facts about Friday the 13th visit Wikipedia...to learn more interesting and fascinating facts about living in a small town, come back and read this blog again. I'm always finding something in the paper worth blogging about...

Funny Video of the Day: Tom Cruise & Oprah

I'm really sick of hearing about Tom Cruise and his baby and his wedding and his overall insanity. So this video just makes my day...



My iTunes Picks of the Day

Enough picks for kids, here are some picks for hip moms:

  • "Shredding the Document" by John Hiatt
  • "Sunny Days" by Jars of Clay
  • "Bare" by Matt Nathanson
  • "Sleepwalker" by the Wallflowers
  • "Fading Away" by Kristin Hall
  • "Brace Yourself" by Howie Day
  • "One" by Tait (cover of U2 song)
  • "Guitar Town" by Steve Earle
  • "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" by the Jayhawks
  • "The Gathering" by Cademon's Call

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Receive e-mail alerts when this blog updates!

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best

Cutting through the Blog Smog
Ask.com