Sam Sam Sam Sam Sam

Friday, October 27, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me

Sam and Ernie...


Quote of My Day:

Even though I am listing quotes in my blog today, here is one of my favorite movie quotes--the kind of thing every woman hopes a man will someday say about her:

"I might be the only person on the face of the earth that knows you're the greatest woman on earth. I might be the only one who appreciates how amazing you are in every single thing that you do… and in every single thought that you have, and how you say what you mean, and how you almost always mean something that's all about being straight and good. I think most people miss that about you, and I watch them, wondering how they can watch you … and never get that they just met the greatest woman alive. And the fact that I get it makes me feel good, about me. " ~Jack Nicholson, "As Good As it Gets"

On My Mind...

Today I am 40. Not quite sure how I feel about that yet. But we're going home to Pittsburgh to celebrate. No place else I'd rather be than home for my birthday. Burgers at Tessaros, a trip to the zoo with the boys, a visit to Whole Foods and a birthday cake from Prentals Bakery.

But to celebrate my birthday blog-style, here are 40 of my favorite quotes about aging:


  1. It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones slept better... while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more. ~Woody Allen
  2. The aging process has you firmly in its grasp if you never get the urge to throw a snowball. ~Doug Larson
  3. Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. ~Mark Twain
  4. You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair. ~Douglas MacArthur
  5. The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left. ~Jerry M. Wright
  6. An archeologist is the best husband any woman can have: the older she gets, the more interested he is in her. ~Agatha Christie
  7. I'm not 40, I'm eighteen with 22 years experience. ~Author Unknown
  8. Old age ain't no place for sissies. ~Bette Davis
  9. Middle age is having a choice between two temptations and choosing the one that'll get you home earlier. ~Dan Bennett
  10. The first forty years of life give us the text; the next thirty supply the commentary on it. ~Arthur Schopenhauer
  11. You know you're getting old when all the names in your black book have M.D. after them. ~Arnold Palmer
  12. Zeal, n. A certain nervous disorder afflicting the young and inexperienced. ~Ambrose Bierce
  13. The elderly don't drive that badly; they're just the only ones with time to do the speed limit. ~Jason Love
  14. Thanks to modern medical advances such as antibiotics, nasal spray, and Diet Coke, it has become routine for people in the civilized world to pass the age of 40, sometimes more than once. ~Dave Barry
  15. We thought we were running away from the grown-ups, and now we're the grown-ups. ~Margaret Atwood
  16. There is only one cure for gray hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the guillotine. ~P.G. Wodehouse
  17. When I was 40, my doctor advised me that a man in his 40s shouldn't play tennis. I heeded his advice carefully and could hardly wait until I reached 50 to start again. ~Hugo L. BlackThink
  18. Regular naps prevent old age, especially if you take them while driving. ~Author Unknown
  19. I don't know how you feel about old age... but in my case I didn't even see it coming. It hit me from the rear. ~Phyllis Diller
  20. The older you get the stronger the wind gets - and it's always in your face. ~Jack Nicklaus
  21. True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country. ~Kurt Vonnegut
  22. At sixteen I was stupid, confused and indecisive. At twenty-five I was wise, self-confident, prepossessing and assertive. At forty-five I am stupid, confused, insecure and indecisive. Who would have supposed that maturity is only a short break in adolescence? ~Jules Feiffer
  23. The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. ~Lucille Ball
  24. First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to zip up your fly; and then you forget to unzip your fly. ~Branch Rickey
  25. I still have a full deck; I just shuffle slower now. ~Author Unknown
  26. Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest. ~Larry Lorenzoni
  27. Inflation is when you pay fifteen dollars for the ten-dollar haircut you used to get for five dollars when you had hair. ~Sam Ewing
  28. Gray hair is God's graffiti. ~Bill Cosby
  29. I can remember when the air was clean and sex was dirty. ~George Burns
  30. At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I'm not there I carry on as usual. ~Patrick Moore
  31. When you become senile, you won't know it. ~Bill Cosby
  32. I have to be careful to get out before I become the grotesque caricature of a hatchet-faced woman with big knockers. -- (on growing old in Hollywood, March 2001, More Magazine) ~Jamie Lee Curtis
  33. Talk about getting old. I was getting dressed and a peeping tom looked in the window, took a look and pulled down the shade. ~Joan Rivers
  34. The best way to get most husbands to do something is to suggest that perhaps they're too old to do it. ~Anne Bancroft
  35. Old age is an excellent time for outrage. My goal is to say or do at least one outrageous thing every week. ~Louis Kronenberger
  36. If you suveyed a hundred typical middle-aged Americans, I bet you'd find that only two of them could tell you their blood types, but every last one of them would know the theme song from the 'Beverly Hillbillies'. ~Dave Barry
  37. The return of my birthday, if I remember it, fills me with thoughts which it seems to be the general care of humanity to escape. ~Samuel Johnson
  38. There is absolutely nothing to be said in favour of growing old. There ought to be leglislation against it. ~ Patrick Moore
  39. When I was young I was called a rugged individualist. When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric. Here I am doing and saying the same things I did then and I'm labeled senile. ~ George Burns
  40. To be seventy years young is sometimes far more cheerful and hopeful than to be forty years old. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

1 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

I too was thinking of movie quotes today. However, "the new phone books are here!" is not quite the theatrical equivalent of Jack Nicholson's somewhat selfish though sincere declaration of love for Helen Hunt. Then again I've always felt you have greater depth of character than I, so perhaps it's fitting that I ponder lines from "the Jerk".

Happy 40th birthday Cyndi! Welcome to the club.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Receive e-mail alerts when this blog updates!

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best

Cutting through the Blog Smog
Ask.com