Sam Sam Sam Sam Sam

Monday, October 16, 2006

Makes You Think...

Quote of My Day...

I will love the light for it shows me the way. Yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. --Og Mandino

My Happiness Today...

My husband brought me flowers yesterday and they were the first thing I really noticed when I went to get my coffee. And I smiled. And it made me really happy that he brought me flowers yesterday. That happiness has overflowed to today...

On My Mind...

I'm thinking about death today. Morbid as that sounds, it is on my mind. An acquaintance of mine back in Pittsburgh passed away last week. She was a pilot and died in a plane crash near where we used to live. Elaine was a fun person. We took golf lessons together with a group of women on Friday nights back when Dear Husband was a golf course superintendent. We had many fun Fridays with Elaine. She was as terrible a golfer as the rest of us. We were really all there just for the laughs and companionship. We bitched about men, dieting, and, of course, our terrible golf game. The beers and martinis that followed our Friday night lesson were also a lot of fun, too. So death is on my mind. Elaine is on my mind. Ever since I found out she died and I see a plane in the sky, I think of Elaine. We live a mile or two from a small airport, the kind of airport Elaine used to fly out of in Pittsburgh. A lot of planes fly over our house. Yesterday I couldn't help but notice every plane, not just because my son loves planes and goes running to the window every time he hears one fly over us, but because of Elaine. The obituary in the Post Gazette said "she died doing what she loved most--flying." Not many people can have that said about their death. I'd much rather go down doing what I love than dying in some hospital bed, suffering in pain from some disease.

Elaine was a good person. She'll be missed. She was loved and she was a friend to many. I'd like to say she was my friend, but in truth we were really just acquaintances. But acquaintances still touch your life and leave a void when they are gone. And today Elaine is gone. Her plane is gone. But her passion for flying will live on, I am sure, in the students that she taught and in her friends that were pilots. I hope they fly safe, especially our friend Bill, who introduced us to Elaine. So fly safe, Bill. And when you are up there, think of Elaine.

Funny Video of the Day: Evolution of Dance

This is the number one watched video on YouTube...



My iTunes Picks of the Day

Elaine's death has me feeling in a somber mood. Here are some moody songs that make you think...
  • "Remember Me" by Mark Schultz
  • "Lonely People" by America
  • "I'm Thankful" by David Bailey
  • "Share Hope" by David Bailey
  • "Only Hope" by Caedmon's Call
  • "100 Years" by Five for Fighting
  • "Don't Be Shy" by Cat Stevens
  • "If I Laugh" by Cat Stevens
  • "If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out" by Cat Stevens
  • "Quietly Led" by Cosey Sheridan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Receive e-mail alerts when this blog updates!

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best

Cutting through the Blog Smog
Ask.com