Sam Sam Sam Sam Sam

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Holiday Lighting Displays


My little Santa, Hank...I had so much fun taking these photos of him in his Santa hat!

Quote of my Day...

"But I was thinking of a plan to dye one's whiskers green." ~Lewis Carroll

My Happiness Today...

Well, I'm certainly not happy about my dog. She's yucked up my carpet again. So much for that happiness from the other today. And then there is my son, Sam, who has been up since 5:30 and is right now sitting next to me touching all the buttons on my computer, determined, I suppose, to delete this beautiful photo of his little brother so I can put one in of him (he is fascinated with looking at pictures of himself). So, I am finding it a little difficult to find some happiness this early in the morning with poop all over my carpet and a toddler bound and determined to destroy my computer with his drool-sticky fingers. But here is something I can be happy about. I made a good pot of coffee and I have half-n-half today. Yesterday I ran out and had to use milk. So, I sit here with a good cup of Joe starting at my life which is sticky, poopy and happening way too early in the morning.

On My Mind...

Holiday shopping. How can it not be on my mind. I am making most family gifts, so that is easy. But the difficult part about shopping is the task of shopping itself. Now, this is coming from someone who loves to shop. But now I am finding it to be a very unappealing activity. On Sunday I went to K-Mart to find a lighted snowman for our front yard. I don't want any of those huge blow-up things that are scary because they are showing up in front of every house in town. I wanted this little vine lighted snowman, "Snowman Sam." I guess he was the hot outdoor decoration this holiday season because he was sold out. So I called my mother. She lives in a city where there are at least three K-Marts within a short distance of her house (oh, I remember those days...). Sold out there, too. So my son Sam will be without a lighted snowman that bears his name. Now I have one of those spiral trees. How boring. There is a house on the next street over that has a light display that is something out of Hollywood. The guy must not have a job because every day there is more lighted stuff displayed in his yard. He's got all the Disney characters, a million candy canes, a few dozen Santas, etc. You name it, he's got it. Last year Sam was too little to appreciate this display of tackiness but this year I am positive he will like it. When we take him on a walk to see it, he'll be amazed. He'll try and break out of the stroller to knock some stuff down or see things up close. And then we'll head back home to our house with one little spiral tree. No blow-up nativity scenes. No animated holiday characters or reindeer. Just a spiral tree with white lights and a wreath on the door with garland. Someday he'll appreciate the fact that his parents aren't tacky and that we have good taste displayed during the holiday season. But while he is little and fascinated with things that move, glow and make tons of noise, he'll think our house is the worst decorated house on the street. I guess I can live with that. It is easier than having an expensive, tacky blow-up Santa or Frosty in front of my house.

1 Comments:

Blogger Being Mrs Miles said...

the photo of your son!! I know what your meaning with your son.. they get the strangest ideas in their heads whats pretty and nothing will shake it. I enjoy visiting your blog.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Receive e-mail alerts when this blog updates!

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best

Cutting through the Blog Smog
Ask.com